We’re a team of committed Physiotherapists who care about your health and well-being. We aim to fix your pain and musculoskeletal problems by addressing the underlying causes. Our approach is holistic, evidence-informed and caring.
Josephine Key and her colleagues have, over many years, developed The Key Approach – a model of dysfunction which guides the assessment, diagnosis and more effective treatment of most spinal pain and related disorders.
The model not only helps explain why so many people get back pain and musculoskeletal problems, but also helps inform a more sensible, appropriate and effective approach to the best treatment and right exercises for each person’s problem.
All the physiotherapists provide highly skilled manual ‘hands-on’ treatments and will also prescribe a tailored ongoing exercise programme appropriate to your particular needs to help you manage your problem and to optimise recovery and prevent reoccurrence.
As part of our unique service we have developed the innovative Key Moves® Programme of Therapeutic Exercise and Movement Classes to provide appropriate exercise therapy for spinal pain and related disorders in a small group learning environment. For those of you wishing to understand and master correct movement control, exercise and stretch better, our classes offer a specialised, supervised and safe exercise environment.
Musculoskeletal pain syndromes take many forms. Here are some of the problems we can help with:
- Back and neck pain, tension and stiffness – acute and chronic
- Headaches and facial pain including jaw problems; neck related dizziness
- Shoulder pain and ‘rotator cuff’ problems; ‘frozen shoulder’
- Arm symptoms eg tennis elbow, carpal tunnel, wrist pain, numbness, RSI
- Chest pain and tightness; breathing problems, lung conditions eg asthma, bronchitis
- Back pain – commonly in the low back but also mid back
- Pelvic girdle problems including sacroiliac pain; incontinence
- Hip and buttock pain and stiffness
- Knee pain conditions eg patello-femoral pain; including sports related
- Leg symptoms eg hamstrings pain, shin splints, groin pain, tendonitis
- Foot and ankle problems eg plantar fasciitis
- ‘Overuse syndromes’ such as tendinopathies
- Help with acute problems such as whiplash, ankle sprain and wry neck
- Arthritis and spondylitis
- Rehabilitation after fractures, trauma and surgery including joint replacement
- Pregnancy related pain problems, pelvic floor weakness
- Sporting problems such as shin splints, knee injuries, dislocations
All therapists have undergone and continue to be involved in extensive postgraduate training including in most cases the attainment of secondary degrees at Masters Level. Further development of practical manual skills and appropriate specific exercise therapy has always been an important aspect of staff mentoring and training within the practice in order that we may optimally care for you.
We are skilled in an extensive range of therapies. These include:
- Mobilisation and manipulation (where required) of spinal and peripheral joints and soft tissues
- Local soft tissue and myofascial release; trigger point therapy
- ‘Muscle Energy’ and Post Isometric Relaxation techniques
- Dry needling or intramuscular stimulation
- Craniosacral therapy
- Breathing therapy including Capnotrainer® assistance
- Taping therapy for support and/or retraining
- Therapeutic exercise prescription including instruction in appropriate ‘core control’
- Postural and movement evaluations with instruction in specific exercise and stretching protocols appropriate to your particular problem
- Motor control relearning programmes – best delivered in our classes (see Classes)
- Functional assessment including sports and ergonomic/work related evaluations
At the initial visit you will undergo a comprehensive assessment, after which the therapist will form a diagnosis and recommend treatment and management options. Our objective is to both treat and educate you on how to better manage your specific problems.
Your first appointment will take between 45 minutes and 1 hour for an initial assessment of your problem. Please allow at least an hour and a quarter. (Subsequent appointments will be 30 minutes, allow 45 minutes)
To save registration time, you might like to fill out our Patient Registration Form online. Please remember to bring in any doctors’ referrals, x-rays or scans relevant to your problem.
Our first step will be to listen to the history of your problem, ask you questions about the behaviour of your symptoms, and then fully examine the affected area by observing and testing various movements and structures in order to arrive at a diagnosis.
We will then discuss a prognosis and treatment plan. You will also receive some “hands on” treatment during this session.
In our practice, we don’t just work on eliminating pain and stiffness – we look for the cause of the problem. We analyse the way you move in response to specific tasks, the way you sit and walk and discuss specific work and sport requirements.
We will endeavour to explain your pain to you – its source and some insight into the reasons for its presence or recurrence.
Our aim is to help you resume normal pain free movement in the shortest possible time and make sure you don’t keep coming back with the same problem.
Payment is made after each consultation, either by credit card (Visa/Mastercard), EFTPOS, cash or cheque. Please contact us for an up to date list of charges. We have online claim facilities for most health services.
For more details of health fund claiming and Medicare arrangements please see FAQs.
See our reception desk for further details.
- Acrylastic Bandages
- Aircast Splint (Left and Right)
- Book by Josephine Key: Back Pain: A Movement Problem
- Cervical Collars (small, medium and large)
- Foam Rollers
- Heat Packs
- Large 67.5cm X 25.5cm
- Small 45.5cm X 25.5cm
- Neck 51cm X 16cm
- IMT (Inspiratory Muscle Trainer)
- Lumbar Rolls
- Small and Large ‘D’ shape
- PTM Posture Corrector
- Spiky Pods
- Kinesio (sold by the metre or by the roll)
- Fixomull (sold by the roll only)
- Brown Leukotape (sold by the roll only)
- Theraband (Yellow, Red,Green, Blue)
- Tubigrip (C, D, E, F,G)
- Yoga Straps